Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Footage counter not working

  1. #1
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi all,

    Today I ran a roll of K40 through my recently aquired Cosina MS 8000 and I noticed that the footage counter doesnt appear to work. I know the film is being transported OK because I tried a little trick someone taught me. (You make a mark on the film with a pen and then put the cartridge back in the camera and film for a few seconds and take it out again, if the mark has moved then the film is being transported) Also, after a while of filmming the camera started making an odd noise so I took out the cartridge and it had the word "exposed" written in the cartridge gate, so I know that the camera is working ok.

    So, how come the footage counter isnt working? This is a bit annoying because you can't tell how much film you've exposed and whether or not the film is actually moving inside the cartridge.

    I have one theory and that is that there appears to be a small button inside the film compartment that looks like it is designed so that when a sound cartridge is in place the button is depressed and the footage counter will work. However, silent cartridges being smaller then sound cartridges will mean that this button wont be pressed in. I tried pressing this in while running the camera without a film in it and the counter still didnt appear to be moving [img]frown.gif[/img]

    Please help! I am officially at a loss [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Boy, I don't know what to tell you.
    Some of these cameras are a marvel of engineering, so there could be some little tiny part that has gone haywire.
    I took apart my Nizo 6080 to modify the gate, and have a look around (can't resist, just like when I was a kid!), and this thing is way more complex than my CP-16 or my Canon Scoopic 16mm cameras.
    Tons of teeny, tiny little springs, levers and God knows what, far more electronics, delicate little wires and connectors...
    Scary. It looks like the set of "Alien" in there! (har har)
    You need to ask someone who really has some chops on repairing cameras, and I don't know if anyone on this board has that ability.

    Matt Pacini

  3. #3
    Inactive Member technicolour's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 5th, 2001
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Good call, I think i've reached the conlusion along with a few others that as long as the film transportation is ok there shouldnt be a problem. As you say one of those tiny springs or gears could of just got knocked out of place!

    I sent the film off today so i'll just have to wait and see [img]graemlins/film.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •